Whatever You Do Don't Open That Door

Fridge....to the fridge that is.  No matter how many times I give out the warning to buyers as we walk in the door of a foreclosure property it happens.  It is a habit that just can't be broken.

Obviously knowing what condition that appliances are in when you are thinking about buying a home is important.  The problem is that most foreclosure properties have the electricity turned off.  Even if the fridge was clean it gets stale when the door is closed and no air is circulating.  However that isn't the problem.  Occasionally when the electricity goes off the fridge hasn't been thoroughly cleaned and as a result....well I don't think I have to draw that picture for you.

So if you are out touring foreclosures with me and I tell you "don't open that door" trust me you really don't want to open the door!Smelly Fridge

Comment balloon 18 commentsCindy Jones • June 11 2008 07:05AM

Comments

Cindy, the problem is that some people will never listen.  Some of those foreclosures smell great, don't they?

Posted by Brian Block, Northern Virginia & D.C. Real Estate (RE/MAX Allegiance, Managing Broker/Branch Vice President) over 10 years ago

LOL

Cindy,

I recently told a client, "If you open that refrigerator, I'm outta here!"

It is hard to get into the kitchen early in the visit and delay opening the fridge until just before leaving.

The rest of the house should give a clue, though...

Posted by Mike Jaquish, 919-880-2769 Cary, NC, Real Estate (Realty Arts) over 10 years ago

Cindy - This is a funny topic (and highly accurate).  It's like they can't help themselves for some reason!

Posted by Jason Crouch, Broker - Austin Texas Real Estate (512-796-7653) (Austin Texas Homes, LLC) over 10 years ago

that is too funny....why would they want to open the fridge... knowing that they will probably have to get rid of it anyways...

Posted by n d (Naoma Doriguzzi) over 10 years ago

Brian-if you open the fridge and it is nasty you can't get the smell out of your nose for hours!

Posted by Cindy Jones, Pentagon, Fort Belvoir & Quantico Real Estate News (Integrity Real Estate Group) over 10 years ago

Mike-if the electricity is off the fridge is going to be smelly even if it is clean.  They just don't sit well.

Jason-the fridge is like a magnet.  They are drawn to it and can't resist.  Maybe they are hoping for a cold soda.  Even as I scream noooooo their hands are on the door.

Naoma-the fridge is usally the first think that should go.  I've found some nasty surprises in ovens too!

That could be a weapon of mass destruction if set outside and left open.
Posted by Gene Allen, Realty Consultant for Cary Real Estate (Fathom Realty) over 10 years ago

Gene-Nice idea. I think the rotten fridge could actually overpower the smell of a room full of teenage boys :-)

Funny I blogged about this a few months ago after one of my clients opened the door and found black milk and a stench that was just awful.

Posted by Stacy Magid (Century 21 New Millennium) over 10 years ago

Stacy-a couple of times it has almost caused the Ralph reflex.  Not pretty :-)

Cindy,

Just a reminder: It does not have to be a foreclosure to have a really "bad" fridge odor. Plenty of vacant homes, where sellers are away, or have gone to nursing homes, or on vacation, or kids moving in and out , or rented  homes,  can all have the same concerns. How about a warning label! Beware of refrigerator!

Posted by Margaret Rome, Baltimore Maryland, Sell Your Home With Margaret Rome ( HomeRome Realty 410-530-2400) over 10 years ago

Margaret-true I'm spending a good deal of time in foreclosures so that was what brought it to mind.  I like the label perhaps we could add that to the "home is winterized" signs that make me laugh when it is 90 degrees outside.

LOL! I understand!! I have been victim of a stinky fridge before!!~Stac

Posted by Stacie Cunningham (Altera Real Estate) over 10 years ago

Hi Cindy,

I was just thinking I have seen this happen in homes that are not foreclosures or vacants....pretty scary sometimes! LOL! :)

Posted by Suzanne Sands, Somerset MA Real Estate (Pavao Real Estate) over 10 years ago

Stacie-today I was the victim of the wet moldy basement.  It is almost as bad and certainly messes up your sinuses for awhile.

Suzanne-there used to be some scary things in my mothers fridge.  Moldy cheese-still good just scrape it off.  Depression era where you never threw anything away....ever!