Spring Inspiration and Positive Views from the Tidal Basin to the Washington Monument

Young Girl with Cotton Candy

There just aren't enough words that can ever tell the wonder of wandering around the Tidal Basin in Washington DC when the Cherry Blossoms are in bloom.  It feels like walking under huge mounds of cotton candy.  The air is sweet with the smell of the blossoms and the waves of pink seem to go on for ever.

Jefferson Memorial with Cherry BlossomsTop off the beautiful trees with the views of the Jefferson Memorial and the Washington Monument and you have the best of both nature and history in front of your eyes.  It doesn't matter where you are from or where you may be going; everyone smiles, photos are taken and picnics are shared.

Washington Monument with Cherry Blossoms

Cherry Blossoms in Bloom

The history of the Cherry Trees in Washington DC go back to 1912 when the then First Lady and the wife of the Japanese Ambassador planted the first two trees on the north side of the Tidal Basin.  In all Japan sent over 3000 trees which were planted mostly around the Tidal Basin with others in Hains Point and on the grounds of the Washington Monument.  Today the city has over 3700 Cherry trees that provide the show that thousands of people from around the world come to see once a year.

Taking a few hours every year to enjoy the sight of the trees and join the throngs of people reminds me of how great living in this city can be.  With everything Washington DC offers we often forget in our busy lives to take in the beauty of the day.  So take a few minutes today and enjoy yourself.  You will be glad you did!

Comment balloon 23 commentsCindy Jones • April 05 2008 07:58AM

Comments

Cindy, hopefully the weather cooperates when I go to view the Cherry Blossoms on Monday with my wife to celebrate her birthday.
Posted by Brian Block, Northern Virginia & D.C. Real Estate (RE/MAX Allegiance, Managing Broker/Branch Vice President) over 10 years ago
Beautiful cherry blossoms!  I thought there might be a little history...when I was a little girl we lived in Japan....on a hill looking all the way to Mt. Fuji and with cherry blossom trees in the foreground.....what a wonderful view and sight to behold!
Posted by Celeste "SALLY" Cheeseman, (RA) AHWD CRS ePRO OAHU HAWAII REAL ESTATE (Liberty Homes) over 10 years ago

Cindy, thank you for this wonderful blog!  I love the DC area!  I almost went there last week.

When do the cherry trees start and stop blooming?  If I make it up to DC in two weeks will I still have a chance to partake in this beauty?

Thank you so much for this lovely post and welcome to our group!

I am making it a featured post and hope that other people will partake in this opportunity (visiting DC during this lovely season).

Posted by Mirela Monte, Myrtle Beach Real Estate (Buyers' Choice Realty) over 10 years ago
Brian-I hope you will have beautiful weather for your picnic.  Happy birthday to your wife!
Posted by Cindy Jones, Pentagon, Fort Belvoir & Quantico Real Estate News (Integrity Real Estate Group) over 10 years ago
Sally-except for 3 years during WWII the Cherry Blossom Festival has been on going.  When I lived in Japan in the late 70's and the trees bloomed it made me quite homesick.
Mirela-the blossoms are at their peak right now so there not be many left in a few weeks.  But come on to DC anyway.  When you figure out your schedule let me know.  I'm sure we can gather a few local rainers to meet and greet.
Cindy - Cherry blossom time is one of the most beautiful times in DC!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by Billnulls Blog Florida Realty Professional, AHWD (Charles Rutenberg Realty) over 10 years ago
Cindy...another one of thos e places I say I'll go to see this time of year! Haven't made it yet...sighhh
Posted by Joan Mirantz, Realtor, GRI, CBR, SRES - Concord New Hampshire (Homequest Real Estate) over 10 years ago
Cindy, these are beautiful photos!  I can't believe I haven't been down to the tidal basin yet!  Maybe tomorrow.
Posted by Patricia Kennedy, Home in the Capital (RLAH Real Estate) over 10 years ago
Bill & Barbara Jo-Yes it is one of the best times.  Just warm enough to make the walk around the Tidal Basin pleasant and the blossoms are incredible!
Joan-put it on your list of things to do it is worth the trip.
Patricia-you don't have an excuse that anyone is going to believe.  Take a real estate break and at least do a drive by.

Cindy,

Those pics of the Cherry Blossoms are beautiful!  I'm looking to plant a few of my own for my yard.

Posted by Michelle Bowman, MD Realtor, GRI (Keller Williams Flagship) over 10 years ago

Cindy, what a great idea!  I will, I will!  Thank you!  I look forward to it!

I love getting comments on my blog. I am in search of the most efficient way to respond to the comments I receive on my blog.

By the way congrats. on re/max having the most website hits of any real estate company in America.

Posted by Sabrina Kelley, Woodland Park Colorado Mountain Homes and Land (ERA Herman Group Real Estate) over 10 years ago
Beautiful photos! And I love the comparison of cotton candy. I'm going to favorite this in the Things to Do/Places to Visit group, and I'm adding a link in my next post to promote the group =)
Posted by Lisa Hill, Daytona Beach Real Estate (Florida Property Experts) over 10 years ago
Lisa-somehow the cotton candy analagy came to mind while we were walking around.  Seemed fitting!
Cindy, I really like your photos.  Our crabapple trees always bloom around Mother's Day...so they are not only beautiful but remind me of my Mother:-)
Posted by Debra Kukulski, Broker Associate, SFR,CDPE;GRI;ABR;e-PRO Realtor, Northern IL (RE/MAX Unlimited Northwest) over 10 years ago
Debra, Crabapple trees, Braddford Pears, Cherry Blossoms, Azelas you name it they all hearld spring.  I'm glad you have a favorite that blooms on the best day of the year...Mothers Day!
The Cherry Blossoms are truly a delightful thing to see.  I've only been in the metro DC area once or twice during this time, but it was a visual treat.  Thanks for sharing your pictures.
Posted by Lola Audu, Audu Real Estate~Grand Rapids, MI ~Welcome Home! (Lola Audu~Audu Real Estate~Grand Rapids, MI Real Estate) over 10 years ago
Lola-today was the offical Cherry Blossom Festival.  There was a threat of rain but it held off.  Unfortunately the blossoms were past their prime!

Hi Cindy...There's nothing better than a stroll around the basin with a companion on a beautiful spring day when the cherry blossoms are peaking.

Thank you for stirring memories.

Kathleen

Posted by Kate Elim, Realtor 540-226-1964, Selling Homes & Land a (Dockside Realty) over 10 years ago
Kathleen, thanks for stopping by.  Spring in DC is a great time.