Today is Military Spouse Appreciation Day-A Heartfelt Thank You

Military Spouse Appreciation DayMilitary Spouse Appreciation Day was first celebrated in 1984 when President Ronald Reagan proclaimed the observence.  Since then every year the Friday before Mother's Day is set aside to thank those who stand beside our troops during both peace and conflict.

If you know a military spouse who is holding down the fort while their loved one is away today would be a great day to treat them to a special lunch, dinner or even offer to watch the kids so they can have some quiet time.

Thank you to all the military spouses around the world for your support of our troops.

Comment balloon 38 commentsCindy Jones • May 11 2012 07:19AM

Comments

They are the backbon of our military memebers.  Sincrely, a retired VET

Posted by Edward & Celia Maddox, EXPERIENCE & INTEGRITY - WE TAKE THE HIGH ROAD (The Celtic Connection Realty) over 6 years ago

The military life is a difficult one for families. Certainly a strong woman is essential to the success of a military marriage [as well as any marriage]. We all thank you for your commitment

Posted by Doug Dawes, Your Personal Realtor® (Keller Williams Realty - Topsfield, MA) over 6 years ago

Cindy, thanks so much for passing this along.  This day of appreciation does not get much press.  I intend to call a radio station or two and pass it on.

Posted by Mike Purkey over 6 years ago

They keep the home fires burning for our troops. Gob bless them!

Posted by Doug Rogers, Your Alexandria Louisiana Agent (Bayou Properties) over 6 years ago

Oh I know plenty. Thanks for reminding me.

Posted by Cheryl Thomson REALTOR Army Ret, Associate Broker in Northern Virginia ( United Real Estate (703.216.5635) cheryltee47@gmail.com) over 6 years ago

Cindy. This is a Great Reminder for all of us. Our Military Spouses are to be commended on their efforts and sacrifices for holding the family together while their husband or wife is away from home defending our country and way of Life.

Posted by Jerry Newman, Texas REALTOR, San Antonio Military Relocation (Brown Realty, 210-789-4216,www.JeremiahNewman.com) over 6 years ago

As a military spouse myself - thank you for the shout out!  :-D

Posted by Jennifer Burnham (Keller Williams Realty) over 6 years ago

Hi Cindy, what a great idea to do for a military spouse. Well done!

Posted by Sandy Acevedo, RE/MAX Masters, Inland Empire Homes for Sale (951-290-8588) over 6 years ago

I like this, Cindy.  What a nice way to honor those who are 'holding down the fort' at home.  Thanks for posting the reminder.

Posted by Carie Shapiro (North Shore Suburbs & Chicago Real Estate) over 6 years ago

Cindy- a great reminder that many people make sacrifices in the military.  Spouses, children, parents... deserve our thanks as well as support.

Posted by Kathy Streib, Home Stager - Palm Beach County,FL -561-914-6224 (Room Service Home Staging) over 6 years ago

Cindy, Great to see there's a special day for the military spouses.  It's a tough job.  Liz got to ride out Hurricane Hugo while my ship went out and around it, and she's the one sitting at home for 6 months while my ship was on a Persian Gulf tour.  Everything falls back to the spouse to handle.  Bill

Posted by Liz and Bill Spear, RE/MAX Elite Warren County OH (Cincinnati/Dayton) (RE/MAX Elite 513.520.5305 www.LizTour.com) over 6 years ago

Cindy, I did not know this, thanks for pointing it out.  I will pass it on to others in the office.

Posted by Will Hamm, "Where There's a Will, There's a Way!" (Hamm Homes) over 6 years ago

Cindy, thanks for letting me know! My mom was a military wife for 27 years and is now buried at Arlington National Cemetery. Great reminder to honor my mom's memory by asking my Facebook friends to thank a military spouse or lend them a hand.

Posted by Mary Elizabeth Allen over 6 years ago

Nice job, Cindy!  We are a proud military ourselves, and always happy to see any recognition our service men and women get, let alone their spouces who serve along side with them!

Posted by Virginia Cheezum (F. C. Tucker Company) over 6 years ago

Cindy ~ thanks for sharing.. a reminder that behind every person in the military is a family that loves them

Posted by Janis Borgueta, LIC RE Salesperson (Key Properties of the Hudson Valley ) over 6 years ago

Cindy...my dad was Air-Force when I was a child, so I hear you loud and clear...a shout to to the spouses in-deed.

Posted by Steve Loynd, 800-926-5653, White Mountains NH ( Alpine Lakes Real Estate Inc., ) over 6 years ago

Not living close to a base I really can't think of one I know locally.  The young men I know who are currently serving from my town are not married.  But I love the sentiment and know many women who are married to former soldiers.  I think I'll thank some of them for the time they put in holding down the fort.

Posted by Tammy Lankford,, Broker GA Lake Sinclair/Eatonton/Milledgeville (Lane Realty Eatonton, GA Lake Sinclair, Milledgeville, 706-485-9668) over 6 years ago

Cindy   What a kind and thoughtful post .. I had no idea it was a special day

Posted by Hannah Williams, Expertise NE Philadelphia & Bucks 215-953-8818 (Re/Max Eastern inc.) over 6 years ago

Really?  I am one and have been one for 23 years and did not know there was such a day.  Hmmm...I hope my husband brings home flowers!

Posted by Kathryn Maguire, Serving Chesapeake, Norfolk, VA Beach (GreatNorfolkHomes.com (757) 560-0881) over 6 years ago
OK, Cindy. I just leaned about National Railroad Day on Craig Ruttman's blog. This one sounds more fun.
Posted by Patricia Kennedy, Home in the Capital (RLAH Real Estate) over 6 years ago

What a great holiday to have on our calendar!  Thanks for reminding us about it.

Posted by Chris Ann Cleland, Associate Broker, Bristow, VA (Long and Foster REALTORS®, Gainesville, VA) over 6 years ago
Probably like most people, I had never heard of this special day for Military Spouses and this is the first I heard that it is being celebrated today. Thanks for raising awareness. Sending out gratitude to all spouses of military personnel past and present, thank you for your sacrifice!
Posted by Kevin O'Rourke - Keller Williams Miami Beach Realtor, CDPE Miami Short Sale Agent 305-520-9436 (Keller Williams Miami Beach Realty) over 6 years ago

This is the first I have heard of it. You'd think this would be all over facebook and twitter!? Thanks for the info. I'll hug a spouse today (better late than never.)

Posted by Joni Bailey, Your Huntsville / Lake Livingston Area REALTOR® (Berkshire Hathaway Home Services - Anderson Properties) over 6 years ago

I echo Joni's remarks. Why hasn't this gotten more press? Thanks for the post.

Posted by Bill Fields (Bill Fields Learning Systems) over 6 years ago

Thanks for the post. I'm going to send out a heartfelt thanks to all of the miiltary spouses I know.

Posted by Monica Hill, the REALTOR to help you discover Delaware (RE/Max Associates) over 6 years ago

As a retired disabled veteran I can attest to the value of the military spouse. You'll see strength, courage, and strong compassion that enables the vet's strength and ability to get the job done. To all the military spouses - Thank You!

Posted by Jane & Jeff Daley, PhD, Scottsdale Real Estate Arizona (Luxury Valley Homes Scottsdale) over 6 years ago

I too didn't know about this very special day for families of our military, especially their spouses. Where is the media and our own government in their failure to bring this awareness and information to our nation?

Without freedom, we are slaves and without our military to keep us safe, we won't be free. God Bless our military and their families and spouses and God Bless the USA. Thank you for the post.

Posted by Kimo Jarrett, Pro Lifestyle Solutions (WikiWiki Realty) over 6 years ago

Thank you so much for the post.  As a wife of a soldier, it is nice to have people realize the support behind the uniform.

Posted by Gretchen Bradley (Realty Source Inc.) over 6 years ago

As many have said, the first I've heard it - and I'M a military spouse (retired)!  Would love to get this 'mainstream' as it's not an easy life, they deserve our recognition and support.  Thank you for the announcement! :D

Posted by Jana Holmstrup (Jana Holmstrup - CEO - Kings Mortgage Services, Inc.) over 6 years ago

Thanks for the education! I didn't even know. I will make it a point to tell everyone I know, especially all my military friends =)

Posted by Jairo Arreola, VA Home Loan Specialist - SF Bay Area - South Bay (Lotus Group Realty) over 6 years ago

Cindy, and I want to thank YOU!  Such a special lady you are!  Was thrilled to see this got you a feature.  Well deserved.  And Happy Mother's Day!
Pamela

Posted by Lee & Pamela St. Peter, Making Connections to Success in Real Estate (Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices YSU Realty: (919) 645-2522) over 6 years ago

Very thoughtful post. I would like to extend my support and love to Robin Fortney-Villa. Who married a Navy Seal. She and my daughter played basketball together at USD and we love her a lot. She's living on base with her husband when he's not on a mission. We love her and miss her and wish her the best.

John & Janis Arendsen

Posted by John DL Arendsen, Crest Backyard Homes "ADU" dealer & Contractor (CREST BACKYARD HOMES, ON THE LEVEL GENERAL & FACTORY BUILT HOME CONTRACTOR, TAG REAL ESTATE SALES & INVESTMENTS) over 6 years ago

If I had a group, you would be featured.  This is a segment of our "military" that is often overlooked and much depended upon.  Thanks, Cindy.

Posted by Suzanne McLaughlin, Sabinske & Associates, Realtor (Sabinske & Associates, Inc. (Albertville, St. Michael)) over 6 years ago

Thanks for the post.  I did not even know there was such a day.

Posted by Gene Riemenschneider, Turning Houses into Homes (Home Point Real Estate) over 6 years ago

Wow - I was unaware of this special day, too. Thanks for bringing it to my attention - I'm working with a strong, brave military spouse (and Mom) now. Gonna give her a big hug and tell her how much I appreciate her!

Posted by Debbe Perry, 828.439.3084 Morganton/Lake James NC (Real Living Carolina Property ) over 6 years ago

Hi Cindy, I missed the day, but thanks to your post many military spouses will get the recognition they deserve.

Posted by Bob Miller, The Ocala Dream Team (Keller Williams Cornerstone Realty) over 6 years ago

Hi Cindy, thank you for your tribute to our Military, they all sacrifice a lot for their country.

We need to support the families and spouses of our military. I see father's and mother's   coming home to surprise their

children at school. It is especially hard on the children of military families.

Posted by Irene Durocher, homesweethome4u@att.net (Coldwell Banker BUYERS AGENT) over 6 years ago
Thank you everyone for your comments. It's nice to know Active Rain has so many who are supportive of our troops. Many who have served and many who have stood beside their service member while they protect our country.
Posted by Cindy Jones, Pentagon, Fort Belvoir & Quantico Real Estate News (Integrity Real Estate Group) over 6 years ago