It's Nirvana Time In Washington DC-Cherry Blossom Festival

The day for full bloom of the Cherry Blossoms around the Tidal Basin has been announced as March 20, 2012.  With the early warm weather the blossoms will be in full bloom for the opening of the 100th Cherry Blossom Festival on March 25, 2012.

Throughout the month long Cherry Blossom Festival there are numerous events that take place around the Tidal Basin and surrounding area.  The annual kite festival at the Washington Monument is a favorite for children.  You can check out the full schedule of events at the 2012 National Cherry Blossom Festival website.

If you can't make it to DC for the National Cherry Blossom Festival hopefully this little video I put together will give you a quick view of the beauty of the Tidal Basin in bloom.

Comment balloon 32 commentsCindy Jones • March 15 2012 10:18AM

Comments

I will be watching for your photographs!

Enjoy the beautiful weather, with your camera in hand!

Posted by Roy Kelley, Roy and Dolores Kelley Photographs (Realty Group Referrals) over 6 years ago

Years ago, and I mean YEARS ago when I was in High School Band we marched in the parade for this festival.  The parade, as I painfully recall was a real killer in length and pace.  I was a drummer and we didn't have those nifty harnesses that hold the snare drums out in front like they do now, so the drum just banged on our legs .  But the festival was beautiful and we had a wonderful time.

Posted by Leslie G. Rojohn, GRI, ABR ~ MoonDancer Realty (MoonDancer Realty) over 6 years ago

My favorite time of year in the DC area!  Makes me miss it so much.  If people have not been in the past, this would be a great year to see how gorgeous it can be!

Posted by Kathryn Maguire, Serving Chesapeake, Norfolk, VA Beach (GreatNorfolkHomes.com (757) 560-0881) over 6 years ago

Cindy,

I know it's going to be loaded with tourists, but my wife wants to go Saturday. I'll see if I could take some pics as well.

Rich

Posted by Richard Iarossi, Crofton MD Real Estate, Annapolis MD Real Estate (Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage) over 6 years ago

Cindy, that's one of the most beautiful sights in the country.  Those blooms remind me of the apple blossoms in the Shenandoah Valley.  It's always a breath taking sight.

Posted by Mike Cooper, Your Winchester, VA Real Estate Sales Pro (Cornerstone Business Group Inc) over 6 years ago

Roy-I'm sure you will have some wonderful ones too.

Posted by Cindy Jones, Pentagon, Fort Belvoir & Quantico Real Estate News (Integrity Real Estate Group) over 6 years ago

Leslie-how funny.  Our HS band never marched in the parade and I grew up right outside DC :-)

Kathryn-it is the one time I'll put up with the crowds to see something in DC.

Rich-not sure if I'll go on the weekend or try and sneak out early in the week.

Mike-are the apple blossoms coming early this year too?

Cindy,

Just saw in "Outside" magazine that the Cherry Blossom festival was one of the top 10 Spring trips that an adventurer can make WORLDWIDE!  I may have to make it this year.  If not, I have you to back me up with photos!

Mike

Posted by Mike Reyman, Delaware County Real Estate (Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Fox & Roach Realtors) over 6 years ago

Mike-I'll do my best to get some nice new photos for anyone who can't make it.

Cindy, the trees are going nuts already.  I saw an azalea in full bloom on my way home.

Posted by Patricia Kennedy, Home in the Capital (RLAH Real Estate) over 6 years ago

Can't wait to see the new photos Cindy.  Our trees are blooming as well here.  I need to see if there are any activities going on in our area.

Posted by Kay Van Kampen, Realtor®, Springfield Mo Real Estate (RE/MAX Broker, RE/MAX Solutions) over 6 years ago

Cindy, what a beautiful video, the look of all those trees in bloom give me such a feeling of fresh air and breezes.

Posted by Ellen Caruso (Daniel Gale Sotheby's International Realty) over 6 years ago
Hi Cindy, I think this is one of the most beautiful hallmarks of Spring. It is an amazing sight and an even more amazing experience.
Posted by William Johnson, San Diego Real Estate Voice, GRI CRS e-Pro CDPE (RE/MAX Associates) over 6 years ago

It is indeed the most beautiful time of the year up there in your area!!! Thanks for that video clip!

Posted by Barbara-Jo Roberts Berberi, MA, PSA, TRC - Greater Clearwater Florida Residential Real Estate Professional, Palm Harbor, Dunedin, Clearwater, Safety Harbor (Charles Rutenberg Realty) over 6 years ago

Pat-I was going to try and sneak a sunrise trip in tomorrow before my late morning showing.

Kay-I'll be there bright and early tomorrow morning to try and beat the crowds.

Ellen-love walking under the fluff of pink at the Tidal Basin.

William-it is a beautiful time of year in DC.

Barbara Jo-I'm sure when Sasha is back you'll make a trip to see us again :-)

Hey, Cindy!  I included this post in Last Week's Favorites.  Have a great week.

Thanks Pat.  Another wonderful year at the Tidal Basin.

They're doing that again?  Don't these people ever give up?

Sounded a little bit like Will Ackerman on the guitar.  Who was the artist?  Great music...!

Oh, and the video was okay too.       ;>)

Posted by Jay Markanich, Home Inspector - servicing all Northern Virginia (Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC) over 6 years ago

Cindy, I guess this would be a good time to visit our nation's capital.  I'm sure it's beautiful.  I've been to D.C. just once 40 years ago, in August, while in college.

Posted by Lloyd Binen, Silicon Valley Realtor since 1976; 408-373-4411 (Certified Realty Services) over 6 years ago

Very nice, Cindy!  We were in Washington DC on vacation once during the Cherry blossom bloom time but didn't hit the festival.  It was just gorgeous!

Posted by DeeDee Riley, Realtor - El Dorado Hills & the Surrounding Areas (Lyon Real Estate - El Dorado Hills CA) over 6 years ago

Jay can you believe it.  After 100 years people still flock to DC to look at trees blooming.  Go figure :-)

Lloyd-August in DC...not nearly as nice as March with Cherry Blossoms.  Come back again.

DeeDee-you have to be able to stand the crowds to walk the Tidal Basin but it's worth it to do it at least once or twice in your lifetime.

Great video Cindy! I had a lunch meeting in downtown DC last Friday and the views were so pretty that I took the rest of the afternoon off and just walked around. I didn't have my camera so I appreciate your having captured them.

Posted by Brett Monk (Real Estate Photography Class) over 6 years ago

This was beautifully photographed AND edited Cindy! This is just great all around.

Posted by Steve and Jan Bachman, Realtors - Northern Virginia (RE/MAX Gateway, Reston, Herndon, Ashburn, Sterling, Fairfax ) about 6 years ago