Memorial Day-Annual Rolling Thunder Rally Rides into DC

Not everyone is packing up the car and heading to the beach this weekend.  If you are staying in the DC area then the biggest event is the annual Rolling Thunder Rally.

The rally started in 1987 with 2500 motorcycles riding through the streets of DC.   Over the years the rally grew and now close to 250,000 motorcycles participate in the ride.  Today the reason for the event is still as important as it was when it first started.   Remembering there are those who are still unaccounted for from previous wars and those who still sacrifice to keep us free.

Starting from the Pentagon, traveling across the Memorial Bridge and in the shadow of Arlington Cemetery, down Constitution Ave towards the US Capitol and then loops to an end at the Lincoln Memorial.

The event brings tears to not only the eyes of the veteran’s who ride but to those who watch.  Make sure you get there early for you place along the route.

Comment balloon 16 commentsCindy Jones • May 26 2010 01:47PM

Comments

Cindy, thanks for sharing that video.  It would be amazing to get to be there for this.

Posted by Ann Allen Hoover, CDPE SRES ASP e-PRO Realtor - Homes for Sale - AL (RE/MAX Advantage South) over 8 years ago

My husband and his friends will be in the crowd this year I'm sure. They will be visiting that week. Now I know what he will be up to ;).

Posted by Janice Ankrett, Staging Professional (Janice Ankrett Home Staging) over 8 years ago

Cindy....watching and listening to your video was very sad....I can't imagine how incredible it must be to see this in person.....thanks for posting it.

Posted by Barbara Todaro, "Franklin MA Homes" (RE/MAX Executive Realty ) over 8 years ago

Cindy:

That procession was awesome, and I do not use that word lightly. It is inspiring to see how many people rode in that motorcycle parade.

Posted by Claudette Millette, Buyer, Broker - Metrowest Mass (The Buyers' Counsel) over 8 years ago

Ann-I've attended many times.  I will miss it this year but I will be there in spirit.

Posted by Cindy Jones, Pentagon, Fort Belvoir & Quantico Real Estate News (Integrity Real Estate Group) over 8 years ago

Janice-I'm sure they will enjoy themselves in the city and there are lots of great events going on for them to enjoy.

Barbara-it is an awe inspiring sight to see and hear all of the motorcycles crossing the Memorial Bridge.

Claudette-it gets bigger every year and at one point everyone thought of it as just a protest but it is not a protest by a remberance of all of those who scrafice for us.

Cindy, what a wonderful video. Parades are such fun, happy events. I'd love to be there to see it too.

Posted by Connie Harvey, Realtor - Nashville TN Real Estate (Pilkerton Realtors) over 8 years ago

Cindy,

I'll be there...but in my Nike's. At my age there's a lot of rolling but not a lot of thunder.

Rich

Posted by Richard Iarossi, Crofton MD Real Estate, Annapolis MD Real Estate (Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage) over 8 years ago

Connie-it is well worth seeing!

Rich-ha ha.  You can't ride a Harley in Nikes you would be laughed out of town :-)

As the man sings...God Bless the USA.  We need all the help we can get.

Posted by Jim Hale, Eugene Oregon's Best Home Search Website (ACTIONAGENTS.NET) over 8 years ago

Jim-thanks for stopping by.

Cindy- This is one of those events that you have to see to believe. It is that magnificent. The first time I saw was quite by accident. I was attending a wedding at the Lincoln Memorial and unbeknownst to the bride, the groom and to me and many others this event was taking place as well. It held the wedding up for over two hours as the brides parents made their way from VA via the memorial bridge. I must say it is a wedding I will never forget!! LOL

Posted by Martha Brown, Your Homes Around Annapolis Agent (Long & Foster Real Estate, Inc., Annapolis MD 21403) over 8 years ago

Martha-that would be a wedding to remember.  It is an event that will take your breathe away.  The show of support for our military troops and reminder that there are those who never made it home is foremost on everyones mind.