Military Families-More Funding Proposed for the Homeowners Assistance Program

HAP Program Contact NumberAs families currently eligible for the Department of Defense HAP program await updated guidelines to be published, additional funding is being proposed in the US Senate by Virginia Senator Jim Webb for Fiscal Year 2010.

Senate bill (S 1309) proposes an additional $350 million dollars to enhance the funding provided by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act passed last fall.   With over 2000 applications for assistance for wounded warriors, surviving spouses, families with PCS orders and BRAC transferees in the south east district waiting to be processed, it is apparent that the current funding could easily be depleted before the deadline for the program expires.

The financial burden military families who are required to move with PCS orders in a sagging housing market can be significant.  Currently I'm working with three Northern Virginia families stationed either at Fort Belvoir or the Pentagon eligible for HAP assistance and our weekly conversations with HAP counselors suggests that the required guidelines will be published by mid-August.    With the HAP benefits most of that burden of negative equity can be lifted with HAP funds provided at settlement.

If you are a military family stationed at Fort Belvoir, Quantico, the Pentagon or any of the Military District of Washington installations who qualifies for the HAP program give the Cindy Jones team a call at 703-346-2213.  We are currently working with families in your situation and understand the process, application requirements and have successfully negotiated sales contracts to help you sell your home in our current market.

Comment balloon 20 commentsCindy Jones • July 20 2009 05:52PM

Comments

Cindy, this is one use of taxpayer money that I wholeheartedly support.

Posted by Patricia Kennedy, Home in the Capital (RLAH Real Estate) over 9 years ago

I am actually not familiar with the HAP program.  But it is something I will be looking into in order to better serve my clients.  Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Posted by Joshua Talayka (Chase Internatinonal) over 9 years ago

I think there are some great military benefits.  In St. Augustine, altho close to Jacksonville, there is not much of a market for marketing to that population.

Posted by An Marshall, Your St Augustine Real Estate Consultant (Berkshire Hathaway - St. Augustine) over 9 years ago

Cindy, excellent information - I appreciate you posting and hope you don't mind me reblogging.  We are currently working with two Families who are looking into the program.

Posted by Tim and Pam Cash, Real Estate Professionals - Clarksville TN (Crye-Leike (Sango)) over 9 years ago

Cindy... thanks for sharing this information.. I will re-blog this as well.

Posted by Roland Woodworth, Q Realty - Power In Real Estate (Q Realty) over 9 years ago

This is one item that Congress should move quickly on. If anyone deserves assistance, it's the men and women of our armed forces.

Posted by John Novak, Henderson, Las Vegas and Summerlin Real Estate (Keller Williams Realty The Marketplace) over 9 years ago

Pat-no doubt it is one time that I say spend, spend, spend!

Posted by Cindy Jones, Pentagon, Fort Belvoir & Quantico Real Estate News (Integrity Real Estate Group) over 9 years ago

Joshua-it has some restrictions associated with it but it will save thousands of military families from being landlords when they leave their current duty station.

An-in our area that are a lot of military installations and with the drop in prices over the last 4 years there are a number of families eligible for the benefits.

Tom and Pam-reblog away.  The more military families who know about the program the better.  I'm sure there are folks at Fort Campbell who will be eligible.

Roland-thanks for looking at for military familes at Fort Campbell.

John-I couldn't agree more!

Hadn't heard much about this...I definitely support a bill like this!

Best,
Dan

Posted by Dan Magstadt (Paramount Residential Mortgage Group, Inc) over 9 years ago

I'm closing on one at the First of August where my seller was helped.

Of course they have to come up with the $ and then be reimbursed but at least they can close and can get reimbursed.

Like Pat said this is a worthy cause and I don't mine one bit my tax dollars going to help the Military.

It's all the other crap our taxes are used for that gets me going.

Posted by Missy Caulk, Savvy Realtor - Ann Arbor Real Estate (Missy Caulk TEAM) over 9 years ago

Dan-it is one of the bills that I think most of us can put our support behind.  Hopefully it will get out of the House fully intact.

Missy-one of my sellers is considering that option as well.  They are waiting to see if the guidelines are published in August and then how long it will take to close.  Unfortunately not everyone has the cash on hand to be able to close the gap which in some of our neighborhoods is significant.

Thanks for this Cindy!  I just got one of these listings entered in the MLS and am anxiously awaiting the guidelines to be rolled out.  I hope it is ok for me to reblog this as our area is so hard hit with upside down homes.

Posted by Renée Donohue~Home Photography, Western Michigan Real Estate Photographer (Savvy Home Pix) over 9 years ago

Renee-re-blog away.  The more military families who qualify for the HAP program and can use the benefit the better!

Cindy, congratulations on your feature, and thanks for working to assist military families.

Have a super day! :)

Posted by Ann Allen Hoover, CDPE SRES ASP e-PRO Realtor - Homes for Sale - AL (RE/MAX Advantage South) over 9 years ago

Ann-thanks for stopping by.  Military families are a big part of the Northern Virignia area and assisting them is always a pleasure.